The records of the Town Trustees of East Hampton are available in the East Hampton village library. All viewers are encouraged to consult these histories as they represent a clear tracing of the past to the present and remain an invaluable lesson in the day to day lives of our area’s earliest settlers. The history that follows contains the most recent entries at the bottom of the page. Hyperlinks to the texts of important documents are underlined. One should also note that early Town records used a calendar year that began on April 1 while current calendar years begin in January. Records between January 1 and March 31 in early Town Records were therefore dated in the same year as the month of the prior December (see for example, the Nicolls Patent of March 17, 1666). The practice continued until the mid-1700’s.