The 2024 Kayak Lottery
Due to the high demand for kayak storage spots and the limited number of spaces available, the Kayak Storage program is managed through a lottery drawing each year. The 2024 lottery will open on Monday, January 8, 2024. Kayak storage permits are only open to East Hampton Town Residents. You must enter the lottery if you would like a chance to store your kayak on one of the racks for the 2024 Summer season. You may enter the lottery for ONE location (listed below). Only one entry per person and a total of two per household is permitted. The Storage racks are for KAYAKS only. SUPs, canoes and other personal watercraft are not permitted to be stored on, beneath or around the racks. Any personal watercraft found on, beneath or around the racks may be subject to impound.
How to enter the lottery:
We have exciting news! We are revamping the kayak lottery process. To make things easier for you, we are changing the entry process this year. You will now submit a completed application as your lottery entry, minus the fee. This means that you won’t have to worry about paying a fee upfront and can simply fill out the application to enter. You will pay the fee if you win a kayak spot through the lottery. Completing the application does not guarantee you a spot on the kayak racks. The completed application will serve as both your entry to the lottery and your application should you win a spot in the drawing.
The link below will take you to the Application portal. The link will go LIVE beginning January 8, 2024 at 9:00 a.m. EST. Please be prepared to complete the full application by having a color photo of your kayak, a clear photo of your driver’s license and proof of residency saved on your computer.
The lottery list will close on March 14, 2024 at 11:59 p.m. Please note that any entries received after this time, or any incomplete entries will not be included in the lottery.
The lottery drawing will be held on March 15, 2024.
Winners will receive an email notification with a link to pay the fee. Don’t worry if you don’t win right away – your name will stay on the waitlist for another opportunity. And if a winner fails to pay by the deadline provided, their spot will open up to those on the waitlist and another lottery will be pulled.
You may request a hard copy of the application entry from our office staff. We can email you a copy or mail you a hard copy. Completed application entries may also be returned via email to firstname.lastname@example.org OR hard copy dropped off at the Trustee Office at 267 Bluff Rd in Amagansett OR mailed to P.O. Box 7073 Amagansett, NY 11937.
Kayak Storage Permits
Kayak storage is granted by permit through a lottery system and is for East Hampton Town residents only (*proof of residency required).
The Trustees maintain kayak storage racks at the following locations:
- Louse Point – Inner Harbor Side – (56 Spots)
- Louse Point – Gardiner’s Bay Side – (16 Spots)
- Gerard Drive – Inner Harbor Side – (40 Spots)
- Hand’s Creek Road aka Settler’s Landing – (56 Spots) end which opens into Three Mile Harbor.
- Mile Hill Road – (32 Spots) – end which opens into Northwest Harbor/Peconic Bay.
- Fresh Pond – (8 Spots) – on the North side of the inlet.
Limit one storage spot per person, per year and only two per household.
NOTE: There are no kayak spots available in Northwest Creek where there are moorings and a launching ramp. Those spots are only for boat mooring owners and are available through Suffolk County Parks at Cedar Point Park.
Permitted Kayaks may be placed on the Kayak Racks beginning April 15 and must be removed by November 15. Kayaks without permits, or those remaining on the racks past November 15, may be subject to impound and may not be eligible for a permit the following year. A fee in the amount of $250.00 per boat will be charged for release of an impounded Kayak. We do not DESIGNATE specific spots on the racks for permit holders. Once you receive your permit sticker, exact spots on the racks are first come, first serve among permit holders.
Permitted Kayaks must place your permit sticker on the RIGHT side of the bow of the kayak. Place your kayak on the rack so that your permit sticker is facing the water and readily visible. The Trustees regularly check the racks to make sure all kayaks are properly permitted and secured to the racks throughout the season.
The Application Process
Entry applications will be made available via this page. We suggest you continue to read below for the required supporting documentation.
The following documentation is required as part of the application. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS ENTRIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. There will be a place to upload these documents as part of the application.
- Completed application form.
- A Copy of current driver’s license.
- Proof of residency – this may include a property tax receipt from the current tax year for property within the bounds of the Town of East Hampton, driver’s license with East Hampton street address, a current 12-month (year-round) lease of property within the Town of East Hampton or a voter registration card showing you are a registered voter in the Town of East Hampton. Should you require a copy of your property tax receipt, you may find a copy on the Tax Receiver‘s page on the East Hampton Town website. *Note: you will be asked to log in and/or it may require you create an account.
- A Color photograph of Kayak – Side/length view required.
- IF YOU WIN you will be required to pay a Kayak Storage fee of $250. Winners will receive a link to pay online. The fee is also payable by check made out to East Hampton Town Trustees or cash. There is also a secure metal Dropbox in front of the Trustees’ office at 267 Bluff Rd in Amagansett for your convenience.
- Permitted Kayaks may be placed on the Kayak Racks beginning April 15 and must be removed by November 15. Kayaks without permits, or those remaining on the racks past November 15, may be subject to impound and may not be eligible for a permit the following year. A fee in the amount of $250.00 per boat will be charged for release of an impounded Kayak.