EXCERPTS FROM the Records of the Town Trustees of East-Hampton, Volume I. 1639-1680 Transcribed by Joseph S. Osborne, Jonathan T. Gardiner, Jonathan Baker, a committee appointed to reproduce the Records by Town meeting, April 3, 1883.
April 29, 1648
An agreement between the Sachems of Manhassett, Wayandanch, Meuntacut, Corchake, Shinnecoke and The Governour of the Colony of New Haven. The Sachems having sold unto Mr. Eaton and Mr. Hopkins, esquires for the Governour, “all the Land Lyinge from the bounds of the Inhabitants of Southampton, unto the East side of Napeak, next unto Menntacut high Land, with the whole breadth from Sea to Sea, not intrenching uppon any in length or breadth, which the Inhabitants of Southampton, have and do possess, as they by Lawfull right shall make appeare, for and in consideration of twentie Coates, twentie-four looking glasses, twentie-four hoes, twentie-four hatchets, twentie-four knives, one hundred muges. The Sachems would have Libertie, freely to fish in any or all the cricks and ponds, and hunt up and downe in the woods withough Molestation. Likewise they are to have the fynns and tails of all such whales as shall be cast up, to fish in all convemient places for Shells to make wampum. Allsoe, if the Indyans, hunting of any deere, they should chase them into the water, and the English should kill them, the English shall have the body, the Sachem the skin…”
The assignment to the Inhabitants of East Hampton is as follows: a purchase was made by Thomas Stanton and others, of a part of the East Part of Long Island of the Indians Sachems, for the sum of Thirty pounds four shillings eightpence by Robert Bond for the inhabitants of East Hampton from Thomas Stanton and others under the direction of Theophilus Eaton, Esq. and Edward Hopkins.
October 3, 1650
Thomas Talmage, Jr. is chosen recorder of Town meetings and four men and a constable are chosen in an election. “At a Cort of election houlden ye first Tuesday of October there are Chosen foure men with the Cunstable for ye ordering of ye affaiers of ye Towne”.
March 15, 1650 – 1651
“It is ordered that Robert Bond shall goe to Coneticot for to pecure the Evidence for our lands and for an Accquittance for the payment of our money and for a boddie of lawes.”
July 14, 1651
“It is ordered that Thomas Baker & Thomas Tomsin and Ben Price shall lay out Occabonack Meadow betwene this & the 19 of this instant July uppon penaltie of paying 10s every one yt shall neglect the same by the Day. It is also ordered yt the 3 men before mentioned shall lay out this Occabonack meadow accordinge to their best light & discretion and to be cast by lott & to begin the lott at the Easterne part of the meadow.”
August 23, 1651
“..It is also ordered that Mr. James shall have for the worke of the Mynistry with us for future time the sum of 50 Lb a yeere & his shall lay Rate fee duringe the time of his standinge in office in the mynistry amonge us. It is also ordered that whosoever shall withdraw himselfe from any town meetinge shall pay 12d.”
October 7, 1651
“John Mulford, Robert Bond & Thomas Baker is chosen by this Court for the execution of those orders comyted to ther Trust for this yeere. Ralfe Daiton is chosen Constable for this yere. Beniamin Price is Chosen secretarie for this yere ensueing….It is ordered that the three men shall have power after the 10th of March to call forth men to burne the woods. It is ordered that every man that hath a house shal within 6 weekes get a lader that may reach so hie that a man may goe to the top of his house and those that shalbe falty herein shalbe liable to pay 5s.”
November 6, 1651
“It is ordered yt goodman Mulford shal call ont ye towne by succession to loke out for whale. It is ordered yt all that are fit to beare armes shalbe sufficiently provided with a good gunne powder shott sword worme and scourer shotbagg rest bolt and a fit thinge to carrie powder in. It is ordered yt ye town shall traine sixe tymes in a yeare and this to begin ye next March.”
November 17, 1651
“It is ordered and agreed upon by us the Inhabitants that there shall be a meetinge house built 26 foote longe 20 foot broade and 8 foote stoode.”
January 9, 1651 – 1652
“It is ordered yt 5 Lb worth of goods or Cattell that are attached from William Fithin for his breach of order in sellinge shott to the Indeans shalbe given to his Children as thiers and Comited to his hands for his best emprovement and be comutable to them when the towne shal thinke fit.”
February 2, 1651 – 1652
“It is ordered that Goody Edwards shal pay 3 Lb or have her tongue in a cleft sticke for the Contempt of a warent in sainge she would not come, but if they had bin Govnor or Magistrate then she would come and Desiringe the warrant that she night burne it.”
May 17, 1652
“It is ordered yt every man that hath Sixe Cowes shall keepe a bull to goe with them.”
The records of the allotments of the “littell plaine” are recorded and the Meadow at Accobanocke is measured and apportioned.
July 18, 1652
“It is ordered that the Medow in Accaboneck which shall need a great treanch or treanches for the dreaning of ye medow it shalbe done by them yt stand in need of it & yt others shal have liberty to treanch or treanches their medow into it every man treanching his owne land yt one hinder not another.”
October 5, 1652
“It is by this Court Established & Decreed that if any man be agreived wth any thinge yt is done by the men yt are in Authoritie that then he shall have libertie to make his appeale to the next Generall Court or when the ffremen are Asembled together for their publike ocasions.”
January 24, 1652 – 1653
“It is ordered yt Penoway an Indian shall pay 3Lb for stealing of a sow from Luke Lillie.”
January 24, 1652 – 1653
“…It is ordered yt whosoever shall see any Indians come to towne without powder and after see him have powder he shall bring him before authority to bee examined and the ofender to be founde vpon pennalty of payinge 20s. It is ordered that a stocke of powder and lead shalbe sent for to the Gov’nor.”
April 26, 1653
“It is ordered noe Indian shall Come to the Towne unles it be upon special occasion and note to come armed because that the Duch hath hired Indians aganst the English and we not knowing Indians by face and because the Indians hath cast of their Sachem, and if any of the indians or other by night will come in to the towne in Despit of eyther watch or ward upon the third Stand to Shoote him or if thay rune away to shoote him.”
May 6, 1653
“It is ordered yt Goodman Davie shall have 3 akres of land of the further side the second creeke of Georgica for 3 yeares…It is ordered that four men shall be Chosen to the 3 that are already Chosen for the orderinge of Towne afayers…John Hand, Tho. Baker, Tho. Chatfield, and Ben. Price.”
June 13, 1653
“William Edwards hath entered an accon of Defamation against Benjamine Price and his wife, his wife saying that the wife of William Edwards was a base lieing woman and that shee would prove he a lier in many pticulers.” The arguments are heard and the Jury finds for the Benjamin Price Defendant two pence cost and Damage and Court Charges.
July 5, 1653
The records of the allotments of the Meadow at Norwest and the Meadow at Accabanock.
November 20, 1653
“It is ordered yt evry man shall goe to make a triall with goodman Meggs a days worke a peece for a mill at the harbor.”
November 20, 1653
“It is ordered that noe man shall fell any tree from Ralph Daytons Addition upon the Common Ground….upon penalty of payinge 5s a tree. nor upon any of the comon land between hook pond and the mill gate nor upon any of the common land betweene the towne and the plaines upon the same penalty.”
June 29, 1654
“Having Considered the Letters that came from Connecticut wherein men are required to assist the power of England against the Duch we doe thinke ourselves called to assist the sd power.”
July 6, 1655
“It is voted by the major part of the towne that Thomase Osborne Senior and his son Thomas Osborne Junior shall have all yt Medow about the place cald the Hogg Creek…It is also ordered by the Major part that Jeremiah Mecham & Rockard Brookes shall have all yt medow along by the beach calld the fire place that is undevided… that Ralph Dayton shall have yt medow at the upper end of the bushes at the Swamp near the towne prvided yt it be not above 5 ackers west: towards the cart way…It is ordered by maior prt yt Mr. James shall have yt medow on the ffurthest side of Hooke pond between the thickett of trees & the Beach & so along the Plaine side according to a row of Bushes by the medow side.”
May 28, 1655
“It is ordered yt for the prevention of abuse amongst the Indians by selling of strong water ffirst that no man shal carry any to them to sell…”
August 21, 1656
“It is Ordered yt the order in Conectecote laws for paying of rates shall stand in force among us.”
April 1, 1656
“It is Ordered that Meantaucutt Sacham shall be sent for and his assotiates that sould us our Land to give us possession of that which thay have sold unto us & to set up the bounds.”
February 12, 1655 – 1656
“It is Ordered that the Indians shall have 5s a Woulfe for all that thay Kill in our bounds.”
February 22, 1655 – 1656
“It is Ordered yt the aker of Land where the Mill standeth fformerly Intended for a high Way that there shalbe no loose cattle drove through upon penaltie paying 5s besides damage.”
March 19, 1657 – 1658
“It is ordered and by a maior vote of the Inhabitants of this Towne agreede upon yt Thomas Backer and John Hand is to goe unto Keniticut for to bringe us under their Government acordinge unto the termes as Southampton is and alsoe to carie up Goodwife Garlick yt she may be delivered up unto the Authoritie there for the trial of the cause of witchcraft which she is suspected for.”
May 12, 1659
Wayandanch, Sachem of Pamanack defines the lands that are given to the Settlers of East Hampton in the presence of David Gardiner and Lion Gardiner, and transcribed by John Ogden.
October 1, 1660
“Upon Petition ffrom ye Meantaquit Indians on Long Iland and desier divers English there…The Commissioners for the better securitys of them do order yt if the sd Naragansets come within six miles of any of the three English townes wthin any of our Jurisdicitons upon Long Iland we do hereby order the English Inhabitants may remove them thence.”
The New York Colony is organized. Richard Nicholls is commissioned to be the first Governor by the King Charles II of England. East Hampton is denied the ability to abide in the Connecticut Colony.
June 9, 1664
The East Hampton Town Pond is created: “It is ordered and agreed that any that will may dig in the hollow betwne Lift Talmages and Jeremyah Mechems to make a convenient wateringe and carring away the mud for their own use.”
March 17, 1666 – 1667
Patent of Governor Nicholl defines the geographical boundaries of the lands of East Hampton.
April 1, 1667
“Thomas Baker is chosen Constable and Rob Daiton and William Fithen are chosenOverseers for this yeare.”
“Jeremyah Osborne was chosen Secretary.”
October 18, 1667
The deposition of Mr. Thomas James taken at East Hampton. That being earnestly desired by them of South Hampton Towne. “And that in those tymes the bounds of these Akakkobauk Indians came Eastward of the river Pehikkonuk to a creek which she (Akkobauk Homes Squaw) named. And they gathered flags for mats within that tract of Land; but since those Indians were conquered that lived at Akkobauk the Shinocut bounds went to the river Pehikkonuk where the Indians catched Alewives: And the Shinokuk Indians had the drowned deere as theirs one this side the sayd River and one beare some years since : And the old Squaw said by the token she eat some of it pointing to her teeth : And that the skin and flesh was brought to Shinnocut as aknowledging their right to it to a saunk squaw then living there who was the old Mantaukeut Sachems sister : And first wife to Chekkanow : This to the best of my understanding.” Taken upon Oath before me John Mulford per me, Jeremiah Osborne Recorder.
January 4, 1667 – 1668
“This writing witnesseth an Agreement betweene we the whale Companeys of East Hampton and South Hampton and is as followeth: That if any of us shall find any dead Whales upon the shore that eyther company should have killed : That Company or person so finding the same shall send immediat word unto the other company; And they shall well reward the bringer of the News.
Secondly that if any company or part of them shall find any whale so killed by the other company at sea ; that they shall then endevour to secure them and send word unto the other company and for their paynes they shall have the one halfe of such whales ; only if any Irons shalbe shound in them they shalbe returned to ye owners of such Irons.
Thirdly if either Company shall meet with any wounded whales and afterward strike and kill them : Then if any Iron shalbe found in them ; they shall restore them unto the first owners there of.
In witness where of both companys two men of each company in the behalfe of ye rest have heare unto set their hands this 4th Day of Janewary 1667.”
Thomas Osborne, John Osborne, Witness hearunto John Mulford, Jeremyah Osborne
John Laughton, Obadiah Rogers (original signatures).
January 19, 1667 – 1668
“At towne meeting then held it is ordered that Mr. James shall have liberty to grind on the Second day of ye weeke when he cometh and shall not be letted by anymen but shall take place before any other that shall tend there before his team cometh except such as shall chance to be grinding before he cometh to ye mill.”
November 3, 1668
“Stephen Hand hath grant that the towne shall have a highway for one Cart to goe through his Lott in the woods lying one the west side of George Millers Lott by the mill plaine. The high way is to be twelve foot in breadth and the length of the lott and it is only to drive carts and oxen in the yoake and to ride or lead a horse through : and not to drive cattle through out of the yoake : and for that hightway the Towne doeth grant that Stephen Hand shall have one acker of Land which acker it was said lay by John Osbornes Land at the end of Thomas Osborns seniors addition which Stephen should have.”
March 22, 1668 – 1669
Montauk. “Appeared then before me John Bentley & Alexander le Rond Master & Purser of the ship John & Lucy, now stranded upon this place and shoare as also John Boyles, Timothy Keitey, Morgan Moriar, Andrew Griffin, and Thomas Jones & the said Timothy, Robert, Morgan and Andrew being all the sea men left of the ship John & Lucy to endevour to save for the owners what may be saved, which kind of labor and endevours, all the rest of the seamen did refuse to doe. The said Thomas was on as a passanger and Cooper to William Reaps who all did according to the solimnity of the place depose and upon pain of perjury declare that on the 10th of February last they wayed anker at Roads Islands and by the direction of the said William Reape shaped their course for Long Island. That about one houre and a halfe before sunset, the wind shifted about, which caused a course to be shaped for New London. That about halfe and houre after, and about three miles from Fishers Island, the said ship stuck fast upon a Rock, where she did beat all the night long. That at the first striking, all the seamen were so dismayed, that immediately John Jennings the chief Mate did put on all the cloathes he could well put on which was a great discouragement to all the rest; for Daniel Gillis the second Mate did likewise, and in this great fear whirein the Master would be not regarded nor obeyed, the Long boat was put out it being very dark, and all the 4 men could hardly keepe her from staving against the ships side, the men in her erged to have the oars, which were watch over by other men who were afraid to venture in the dark whirein but an assurid death appeared there was nothing but a terrible distraction and confusion in the ship all the night long, one ergine this the other that, doing one thing and then undoing it, doing all things and yet nothing : and at break of day the ship beating so extremely that the Master seemed to keap out of the forkstl, the men fearing the loss of the boates, and the rudder beatin off the hooks, and some of the …. floating upon the sea ; all courage was taken away, and as sudainly …. the boates were full of men ; John Jennings being one of the very first men who went into the long boat.”
The witnessed account continues to describe the men left on board, the items that were salvaged, and the time it took to save them. Sworn before John Mulford, his Majesties Justice of the Peace, in East Hampton, New England.
December 18, 1669
“Whereas sundry yeares since I Pauquennacut & several of us the Indians of Meantacut, heard the old sachem of Meantacut declare in a general meeting of the Indians yt he had given to Lev. Lion Gardiner & Tho. James Minister of Easthampton upon some considerations knowne to himselfe : all ye whales should be cast up at any time at Meantacut land they being to give what they see meete for ye said whales to ye sd Sachem or his heires after his Decease.
The Sachem being dead and part of ye land at Meantacut disposed of : we ye sd Pauquinnacut, Wassouman, Aukeeannitt in behalfe of ourselves : And in name of our associates ye proprietors of ye land at Meantacut doe freely grant & confirm to ye sd Tom. James & to Jeremyah Conckling now standing up in ye room of Lion Gardiner all the whales shall be cast up beyond ye Fort Pond att Meantacut, to them their heires or assignes for ever uppon ye same tearms as is before specified was ye grant of ye ould sachem Wayandance.”
I consideration of ye premises wee set forth to our hands & seales.
PAUQUINNACUT marke, CHEKONOW his marke, AUKEANIT his marke
Sealed Subscribed and Delivered in the presence of Wm. Welles, John Howell, John Youngs.
February 21, 1669 – 1670
“It is ordered by the Constable and Overseers that no pines shalbe any way disposed of out of the Town that groweth within our bounds upon the forfeiture of 20s for any peice of such timber any waies put of contrarie to this order.”
EXCERPTS FROM the Records of the Town of East-Hampton, Volume II. 1680-1701
Transcribed by Joseph S. Osborne, Jonathan T. Gardiner, Jonathan Baker, the committee appointed to reproduce the Records by Town meeting, April 3, 1883.
King James II ascends the Throne of England and overturns the previous institutions that had stated that “No Tax to be levied but by consent of the assembly”, the assembly being the freeholders of the County of Suffolk. A direct tax is decreed. Six farmers from East Hampton protest the tyranny and are arraigned before Council.
December 9, 1686
The Dongan Patent to the Trustess of the Freeholders and Commonalty of the towne of Easthampton established The Trustees as the duly authorized and recognized governing body of the towne of Easthampton. It is one of the earliest documents to provide for representative government by elected officials in New Yorke.
January 24, 1686 – 1687
“Upon Petition At a meeting of ye Trustees of ye freeholders & Commonaltie of ye Towne of Easthampton it is agreed & ordered by them yt there should a Rate be made to the value of Two hundred Pounds in current money of this Province yt is one Hundred & Twentie pounds upon ye allotments of ye Purchasors & Proprietors of this Towne at home according to every mans allotment in devision of land. And fourscore Pounds to be raised uppon ye land at Meantaucut according to every mans share of Interest there & this to be Raise to defray Charge about the Patten of such as have Interest as above specified & by no others. Also it was agreed & ordered yt a rate be made to defray charge yt did arise about mens Protests to ye value of so much as ye Charge shall arise unto and this to be levied upon ye Purchasors and Proprietors according to their allottments at home.”
April 7, 1687
“The Trustees Chosen by ye ffreeholders of this Town are: Mr. James, John Stretton, Thomas Talmage, Lt. John Wheeler, Ensn. Samll Mullford, Samuell Parsons, Steven Hedges, Thomas Chatfield Jr., John Mullford, Thomas Osborne, Steven Hand, Thomas Mulford. And Constables for ye yeer Ensn. Enock Fithina, and Nathaniell Tallmage. The Assessors appointed are Beiamin Conklinge, Samuell Mulford. The Comissioners are Jermiah Miller, Mermia Conckling Sr., Thomas Chatfield Jr.”
“The population of the Town of East Hampton: 223 Males, 219 Females, 25 Male Servants, 9 Female Servants, 11 Male Slaves, 14 Female Slaves, TOTAL of 502. Furthermore, 98 are capable of bearing arms and 2 are merchants.”
April 3, 1688
The freeholders of the Town choose eleven Trustees, (Robert Daiton, Steven Hand, Jeremiah Conckling, Nathaniell James, Lt. John Wheeler, Steven Hedges, Benjamin Osborne, James Diament, Samuell Mulford, Thomas Chatfield, John Mulford), two Constables (Benjamin Conckling and Steven Stretton), three Commissioners (John Mulford, Lt. John Wheeler, Mr. Thomas Backer), and twoAssessors (Steven Hand and Thomas Chatfield).
April 4, 1693
The Election Meeting chooses for the following year, two Constables (John Mulford and Enoch Fithin), twelve Trustees, (Richer Shaw, Stephen Hedgis, Cornelios Stretton, Tho Chatfield, Daniel Osborne, Cornelios Conckling, John Parsons, Nath Baker, James Diament, Benjamen Osborne, Samuel Parsons Jr., Thomas Baker), and two Assessors (Capt. Jon Wheeler and Joseph Osborne).
April 7, 1696
The Election Meeting chooses for the following year, two Constables (Seth Parsons and Richard Shaw), twelve Trustees, (Stephen Hedgis, Beniam Osborn, Lt. Jeremiah Miller, John Stretton, Capt. John Wheeler, Thomas Mulford, James Diament, Nathaniell Talmage, Robert Dayton Jr., Thomas Chatfield, Willm Barnes, Corneios Stretton), and two Assessors (Nathaniell Baker and John Parsonse).
June 16, 1696
The Reverend Minister James, first minister to the Town of East Hampton, passes away and is buried as to rise facing his people on the resurrection morn. A new minister, Rev. Nathaniel Huntting will commence his 50-year ministry in September of this same year.